Diabetes and your eyes: Tips for eye care
Diabetes can affect your eyes and vision. It is the main cause of blindness in adults aged 20 to 74. Here are some tips to help prevent eye diseases caused by diabetes and preserve your vision:
- Check and manage your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels with the help of your diabetes care team.
- Get eye tests on a regular basis.
- See an eye doctor if:
- you have a sudden change in how clearly you see
- your eyes take longer than usual to adjust to darkness
- you see any red spots or a red fog
- you see black lines or spots that don’t go away
- you develop any other changes in vision
Centers for Disease Control. (CDC) – Take Charge of Your Diabetes - Healthy Eyes. Accessed online June 8, 2022