Tips for skin care
Having diabetes can put you at risk for skin problems. When blood glucose is high, you may be prone to dry, itchy skin which can lead to skin infection.
Be sure to:
- Keep blood sugars under control with the help of your doctor.
- Keep skin moisturized to prevent chapping and cracking, and decrease the risk of infection.
- Drink lots of water.
- Eat food rich in Omega-3 fatty acids (such as fish, vegetable oils, nuts [especially walnuts], flax seeds, flaxseed oil, and leafy vegetables).
- Rinse and dry hands after washing and use a moisturizer when needed.
- Refrain from taking very hot baths and showers.
- Treat minor cuts right away, washing with mild soap and water and covering with sterile gauze.
- See your doctor right away for major cuts, burn or infection.